We believe that spiritual transformation is not a solo event. We all need a circle of people to encourage and grow with. Our small groups and classes can help you press into God's love, even when it seems beyond reach.
- Thursday Study Group:
- This group meets on Thursday mornings from 9:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. Over the years, this group has studied the Bible from beginning to end and now is using different books to continue conversations about God and the Bible.
- UMW Faith Circle:
- This women’s group meets as a part of the United Methodist Women from 10:05 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. once a month on Tuesday to build their faith in God and build their community.
- UMW Wesley Circle:
- This women’s group is part of the United Methodist Women and meet once a month on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. to build their faith in God and build their community.
- Winter Patrol:
- This group leads our Winter Patrol Mission and uses their experience of this ministry to strengthen and support each other. They meet every Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. from December through March and serve those living in St. Louis with food and warm winter items.
- Young Adult Journey Group:
- This group is open to all young adults in their 20’s and 30’s. They meet twice a month on Wednesday from 7:30 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. They study various books and DVD series to spur discussions about God and life. They also spend time in mission, service and fellowship together.
adult Sunday School Classes
- Bible Study Class:
- This group goes through the Bible chapter by chapter. They use a curriculum guide to broaden their discussions about the context of the Scripture and how it relates to their every-day lives.
- Contemporary Issues Class:
- This is an ongoing Sunday School class that uses 6-8 week books and DVD discussion guides to have deep discussions about when faith and life collide. They are a mixed group that is always changing, depending on the topic.
- The Far Side:
- This mixed gender and age group takes a progressive look at questions about God, faith and life. They use books, lectures and articles to have informed discussions about these topics.
- This class often, but not always, follows the weekly sermons to dig deeper into topics of faith. They are a mixed group of “empty-nesters” that use their life experiences and Scripture to grow in their understanding of God and what God is doing in our world.
- Travelers of the Word:
- This group studies various topics from deep Bible Study to current events in a Christian context. They change topics every 3-6 weeks.
- Cancer Support Group:
- This group is meets on the first Monday of the month from 6:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. and is open for anyone who has been affected by cancer. They meet to share stories and struggles and occasionally have guest speakers.
- Book Discussion Group:
- This group meets once a month for a potluck and discussion on a book of their choosing.
- JOMA (Just Over Middle Age):
- A social group for people in their 60’s and 70’s. They meet around holidays and for community events.
- This is a social group for people in their 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. They meet for fellowship and also for occasional studies on justice issues.
- Quilting for God:
- This is an open group for quilters and anyone willing to learn. They meet twice a month on Wednesdays to share in time of devotion, quilting, learning, and doing life together.
- Senior Men’s Group:
- This group of men meets for breakfast on the fourth Wednesday of the month at 7:30 a.m. They provide charitable donations to several ministries of our congregation and serve the congregation with many acts of compassion, including the congregational Free Breakfast.
- Baptism Class: held annually
- This class is for parents and adults interested in baptism and covers the basics of our baptism tradition and theology to help make an informed decision about baptism.
- Christianity and Social Justice
- Disciple Bible Study
ADDITIONAL GROUPS THAT MEET AT ST. JOHN’S UMC
- An open group to the community for friends and families of problem drinkers. They meet on Wednesday evenings from 7:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. in Room 105.
- Children of Hope:
- An open group for the community for adult children of problem drinkers. They meet on Tuesday evenings from 7:30 p.m. until 8:30 p.m. in Room 104.
- Narcotics Anonymous:
- A group for the community that provides help from peers and offers an ongoing support network for addicts who wish to pursue and maintain a drug-free lifestyle. They meet on Friday evenings from 8:15 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. in Fellowship Hall.