Spreading the word of Jesus Christ has been the mission of St. John's United Methodist Church since its earliest days in Edwardsville.
1793: Methodist circuit riders began preaching in Illinois.
1805: A log meeting house called Bethel Chapel was built in Glen Carbon, Illinois. This was the first Methodist church in the state.
1827: The group that would become St. John’s United Methodist Church began, led by circuit riders John Hogan and Samuel Thompson. They gathered with members in a school building and later moved to the Court House located at the site of Lincoln School.
1829: The first church was built at the corner of St. Louis and Randle streets. It was all wood and measured 30 feet by 45 feet.
1853: The congregation grew and a larger brick church with a basement was built on the same site. It was called Thompson's Chapel.
1883: The church building was again too small, so a new brick building was built at the corner of St. Louis and 2nd Street. This building was called St. John’s Methodist Episcopal Church. The church had 225 members with 150 people attending Sunday school. The first choir was formed at this time.
1923: By the 1920’s the building was once again too small and the church building was razed to make way for a new building.
1924: The building that currently stands at 201 St. Louis Street was dedicated. It included a new organ and an adjacent education building.
1952: Membership topped the 1,000 mark.
1959: The chapel and library were built adjacent to the church on 2nd Street.
1961: Membership reached an all-time high at 1,159 people.
1985: The membership again topped the 1,000 mark and was celebrated with a photo of the congregation in front of the church.
1988: The congregation voted to relocate the downtown Edwardsville church.
2001: Twenty acres of land were purchased on Highway 143.
2002: An additional 3.7 adjacent acres were purchased.
2005: In September, ground was broken and building began.
2006: In April, the congregation moved into Phase One of the new building, followed in June by the sale of the downtown building to Newsong Fellowship Church. Construction on Phase Two, the Ministry Center, began in October 2006.
2007: In April, worship was held for the first time in the brand new Ministry Center on Easter Sunday.
Our current location allows St. John’s room to grow into the future. Buildings may come and go, but the vision of St. John’s will continue to be a beacon of faith and service, focusing our passions and gifts to reflect Christ’s love to the world.