"He sat down, called the Twelve, and said to them, 'Whoever wants to be first must be least of all and the servant of all.'" Mark 9:35
St. John’s is a missional church, which means that we take seriously the call of Jesus to serve the needs of our hurting world.
We are actively engaged in several local and regional ministries throughout the year, as well as taking adults and youth on mission trips to rebuild areas devastated by natural disasters or endemic poverty.
Take a look at some of our ongoing projects listed here and consider where God is calling YOU to serve - or contact the church if you have questions about our ongoing projects, or a new vision for ministry that you would like to discuss and share with others.
- Started in 2012, the Mission Garden grows fresh, healthy vegetables to supply local pantries and soup kitchens March through October. I'd like serve this ministry!
- Our patrol group spends Wednesday nights on the streets of St. Louis, giving donated clothing and food to the homeless November through March. I'd like serve this ministry!
- Once a month, St. John’s provides a Sunday supper and fellowship to the residents of Booth House at the Salvation Army in Alton. I'd like serve this ministry!
- We meet monthly at rotating locations to discuss hunger issues and advocate for public policies to end hunger. I'd like serve this ministry!
- This crafty group meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month at 6 p.m. to make quilts that are donated to disaster victims and others in need. I'd like serve this ministry!
- We help serve free lunches in the summer and provide a weekend food supply for children who qualify for free-and-reduced-price school lunches. I'd like serve this ministry!
- We collect unopened, prepackaged food items in District 7 school lunchrooms that would otherwise be wasted and donate them to the local food pantry. I'd like serve this ministry!
- We collect and transport clothing, furniture and household items for the Hispanic Migrant community in Cobden, Illinois. I'd like serve this ministry!
- This St. Louis ministry teaches formerly homeless people a job skill and gives them work experience. We sell Bridge Bread to our congregation once a month. I'd like serve this ministry!
- We transport elderly people to doctor’s appointments and other local errands. The schedules of serving this ministry vary based on need. I'd like serve this ministry!
- This local group brings area churches together in activities such as mission trips, home repair projects and fundraisers to benefit many local groups. I'd like serve this ministry!
To get recent updates on mission trips and projects:
- Check the Reminder online, or call the office to be added to our email list to receive this helpful information weekly.
- Contact Michelle Babb, Director of Servant Ministries, to be put in touch with the leaders of mission groups that interest you.
- Attend our monthly Mission Team meeting, which typically meets on the third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Check the calendar to confirm dates and times. Mission Team meetings allow you to get in on the ground floor of the planning and organizing of these activities. Our meetings are open to all!
- Check the Servant Center, located at the back of the Worship Center, for sign-up sheets to get you involved in upcoming projects.
- Check the Helping Hallway, located in the alcove of the Sunday School Hallway, for collection bins and lists to remind you what is needed by several of our ministries.